Sunday, 6 May 2007

"Settle down! Save for Retirement!"

Damn am I sick to death of hearing this from my parents. I am only 33 years old, why do I need to do this? I refuse to live in fear for what may or may not happen to me in 30 years time.

The last thing I really want to do at the moment is 'settle down', I am just beginning to understand what it is that I want to do and it is pretty much the opposite of settling down. I guess I just don't have the same motivations as many other people my age (and my parents), the acquisition of 'stuff' is just not of prime importance to me, I don't particularly want to own my own home and don't have a desire to work in an office job earning $100k a year saving 10% towards my retirement.

I guess my father's illness has emphasised these thoughts in my head. He has PKD (Polycystic Kidney Disease) and is on peritoneal dialysis, after working hard all his life he know has low energy and has to be hooked up to a dialysis machine every night. It is a genetic condition and the chances are very high that I will get it. I already have many cysts on my kidneys and it's just a matter of seeing how quickly or slowly things develop. So I think it is important to carpe diem as much as possible while I still have my health because who knows what state I may be in in 10-30 years time.

The people that I do know that are settled down with good jobs, homes and partners really don't seem any more happy than I am. I think it is all relative and all things considered I am pretty happy with where I am at right now. I just have concerns over where I will be heading over the next 2-5 years and some serious thought is in order. Hence, why I started this blog, to help me work thinks out.

I think i'm only just scratching the surface of this topic, it requires more organised thought (this is more of a reactionary rant) and a critical approach before I can work out exactly how I feel about this 'settle down' thing that haunts me.

No comments:

Quote of the moment

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain