Saturday, 5 May 2007

This above all, to thine own self be true

It has been quite a while that I have considered having a blog. I have had a livejournal for quite some time but never get around to updating it. Perhaps it is because people that I know read it and maybe I just need somewhere to record my thoughts and work things out for myself rather than trying to write for a perceived audience.

Last night I was trolling through the boards on the Boots n' all forums and came across a post from a few years ago about a girl saving a puppy from being beaten to death by children in Mali. All I wanted was to see a picture of the puppy so I clicked on the link for her blog. What I read there moved me to a great extent. Kinga was fulfilling a lifelong dream, travelling around the world for five years before she succumbed to cerebral malaria in Ghana in 2006. Recently I have been giving a huge amount of thought to following my dreams and not trying to please other people in the choices that I make. Kinga's blog really confirmed for me that I have to follow my dream, or at least give it a damn good try.

To this end, I will be investigating how to become an Overland Truck Driver, I have sent off an e-mail to Dragoman to see how much of the recruitment process I can complete in New Zealand before I have to fly to the U.K. If I am successful in following this dream I will have to spend a huge amount of money whilst getting next to none in return if I get the job. That is simply not important to me, such a job will be a fulfillment of many desires I have had; I don't fit in to the "mainstream" of society that values success in terms of a dollar value, I have a huge passion for travel, for people, new cultures and Africa and can see this job making me very happy.

Probably enough now for an initial post, i'm thinking this blog will be a disjointed affair with infrequent posts on issues that are in my heart, mind and soul at the time.

If any one does accidently find what i've written I would appreciate you leaving a comment with your thoughts.

No comments:

Quote of the moment

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain